Have you ever wondered how people get those amazing backgrounds in their food photos?
The answer to this question is simple and affordable.
Here are 10 simple and easy food photography backgrounds.
- Porcelain or ceramic tiles – These offer you versatility a long with many different color and texture options. These can be found at any local hardware store for a very reasonable price. You can stock up on a few to create many different looks and styles. These tiles are also very easy to clean and change out quickly.
- Old cookie sheets – Old cookie sheets are perfect for metal backgrounds. These work really well to give your images that rustic feel. In most cases you will have a pile of these already in your kitchen. These are also easy to clean and can really make your images look amazing.
- Wood cutting boards – Wood cutting boards give food photos a great look. These are easy to find and are usually affordable. Just like number nine on this list you can find these in different shapes, sizes, textures, and colors. There is just something about a wood cutting board in a food photo that make the whole image look professional and stylish. Wood cutting boards are one of the most popular background and props for food photography.
- Ikea Limmnon table top – If you are looking for that ultra white background this is the way to go (and it means a trip to Ikea). These table tops give you a large ultra white background so you can do large food shots such as a full table setting or BBQ.
- Kitchen linen and cloths – One of the easiest backgrounds to find is your kitchen towels or cloth napkins. These work wonderfully as backgrounds and props for food photos. They are also good for adding a little color and texture to your images.
- Craft paper – Craft paper is a very inexpensive way to add color to your food photos. Color backgrounds can add that little bit of missing color to your images to give them that wow factor. If you do not want to add too much color you can always just use bits and pieces of the paper.
- Paper bags – Paper bags come in many colors and textures. These are great for giving your photos that natural or organic look. Sprinkle some fresh herbs and add some brightly colored veggies to the scene to make it look professional.
- Parchment paper – Just like paper bags this gives you a natural organic look especially natural parchment paper. You can find this at your local grocery store and it makes for a quick clean up.
- Thin ply-wood – You can find a nice piece of thin ply-wood at any hardware store. You can get these in many different grain patterns and you can stain it just about any color. You can also have this cut to different sizes and shapes . This will allow you to add multiple background choices to your background collection quickly. When paired with number one on this list it really opens up your options for very little cost.
- Foam boards – These can be found at any craft store and come in many different colors including glitter (use this to add a little sparkle to your photos).
Simple wooden cutting board with chocolate and caramel drizzle.
Just remember you can find a background for your food photography just about anywhere. Get creative and find some interesting things to use as backgrounds. Add in some colorful props and watch how your photos come alive and look more professional.